• Electrons in solids: Free electron gas, band structure, effective mass
• Lattice dynamics: Phonons, phonon dispersion, acoustic and optical phonons
• Properties of metals: Electrical conductivity, Fermi surfaces, thermal properties
• Properties of semiconductors: Pure, intrinsic semiconductors, equilibrium conditions, doping
• Properties of dielectric materials: Propagation of electromagnetic waves, frequency dependent optical
properties, polarization effects.
• Application in devices: Heterostructures, Schottky contact, pn-junction, solar cell, light emission and
Learning Outcomes / Competences: The students ...
• know the basic terms and concepts of solid state physics like the free electron gas, electronic band structure, charge carrier statistics, phonons, doping and optical properties,
• are capable to apply derived approximations as the effective mass or the electron-hole concept to describe basic characteristics of semiconductor materials,
• have the competence to apply these concepts for the description of electric, electro-optic and thermal properties of solids and to describe their functionalities,
• understand size effects on material physical properties.
• Integrated acquirement of soft skills: Working with specialist literature, literature search and interdisciplinary thinking.
The course is part of admission "Zeitgesteuerte Anmeldung: Materials Physics".
The following rules apply for the admission:
The enrolment is possible from 26.09.2022, 00:00 to 01.11.2022, 23:59.